27 May 2012

blinking inking

If this lot had seen my camera they might have punched me as I waited and waited for a photo-op break in the Friday afternoon traffic roaring between us on the busiest street in Ballarat (where every single one of the ten bus routes passes) so please be stunned by this charmer, having a smoko, mid-ink.

My Seniors Card-holding friend Joan has a peacock feather inked on her foot and it is lovely. A tattoo tradition reserved only for princesses in Polynesia - vertical rows of tiny birds inked down their legs. How cool is that?
In Ballarat the Bogan Princesses only need the cash, and because the interior of this parlour in the image above is visible from my bus when it passes after dark I have seen their sign inside which says 'Minimum $150'. I wonder what you get for that? a happy face? This girls entire abdomen must be costing more than the NewStart allowance that's for sure.

Popeye and Bluto must have been my first exposure to skin ink, other sailors of course, drunk on shore in Marseilles and why not? Even Royalty in the navy has tatts - although I would bet the ranch that HRH Chuck is the one exception to that.
Japan has their Yakuza crim tatts and a museum of tattoos, with actual human skins if you please.
My first awareness of real world tatts would have been reading that girls in reform-schools like the infamous Winlaton, inked themselves with charming legends like I love J O'K, so when I read that dear Cher did it in the 1970's I thought that she was very hip to do a tough-girl thing without being a Tough Girl.

The headmistress at my school always threatened us with Winlaton if we wagged school, and thanks to the internet I now know that girls sent there for truancy were actually then denied any education. KAFKA LIVES!
And here is Daughter O'Dyne and the tatt she got herself for her 21st -