26 January 2012

wealth for toil

Australians all let us rejoice, for we are young and free; we've golden soil and wealth for toil; our home is girt by sea; Our land abounds in nature’s gifts of beauty rich and rare; in history’s page, let every stage advance Australia Fair. In joyful strains then let us sing, Advance Australia Fair.
Twigs Of Yore blogger has a genealogy meme
(I found thanks to My Western District Families a Victorian blogger, with whom I share the fact of our ancestors both coming here from 'the Royal burgh' of Haddington SCT in 1854)

Twig's meme is based on how did your ancestors toil?  so I submit -


one of my G-G-grandfathers - George*Sedgwick (1830-1898) toiled in Portland, Victoria,  making furniture, and that is a c.1890 photograph of him in his workshop at 137 Percy Street.  He built the Rocket Shed on the Portland foreshore, as well as doing all the interior carpentry of the first Town Hall. He did amass wealth for it, although none trickled down to me.  I do wish I had known him.

I have been toiling on my genealogy database since 1997 when P0RN was the biggest thing on the www ... and now GENEALOGY is the biggest thing on the web, so  this 26th January I celebrate nothing but this small bit of positive evolution.