Pinterest

24 October 2012

it's empirical

This 1795 portrait by Louis Gauffier of Andre-Francois, Count Miot De Melito, with his Countess and infant, is part of the NGV Melbourne collection.  It joined the recent wonderful, huge, and varied NGV exhibit of Napoleonic Empire paintings, militaria, costume, furniture, books, tableware, 18thC Australiana and jewellery.  I went twice.  I did think that maybe this evangelist -
could be a descendant, and like all compliant culture-seekers, I did Exit Through The Giftshop to purchase
a doll with more resemblance to Mr Bean than to Mr Bonaparte.  His famous hat was displayed, so we discovered it was one of 176 made by Poupard et Cie, but still very touching to see despite the ego of it's wearer.  Maybe 400 years from now, a pair of red nylon swimming pants will be in a touching display somewhere.

9 comments:

  1. When you say "a touching display" I do hope you mean "emotionally moving"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the ego's of both Monsieur Bonaparte and our Tony are on a par, I really, really would not like to see a 400 year old set of budgy smugglers. Oh wait, I won't see it.

    Speaking of which - it is lovely to see you posting again. I have missed your take on the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was a "like' button I would have to click it twice!

      Delete
  3. oh Fruitcake you are a treat.
    El Chi darling - your beautiful blogposts get 100 comments so I dare not add mine - your inbox must be very scary. Love the spring flowers and hope your black hollyhock is abundant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are comments and there are comments and you are ALWAYS more than welcome.

      Delete
  4. Love the evangelist reference. Very astute.

    So nice that you could languidly peruse it twice! It must have been a great exhibit. I might have to put it on my list when all my assignments are submitted.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I shudder to think what a budgie-smuggling doll would look like ... although an effigy might not be such a bad idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I too am glad to see a new post here. I miss the NGV - hope to visit sometime next Feb when it's gloriously hot outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 12, 2013

    Well connected to Major Expressway such as Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) and Central Expressway (CTE) to
    get you to places in no time. the interlace condo

    ReplyDelete