Pinterest

17 May 2012

love the liberry

Love The Liberry is a journal blog by librarians, on all the batty customers who come to their counter. There are some gems in there that make me think they should get a pay raise for absence of any homicides. Today there was no homicide after I entered my library












I had been there a week ago, looking for a particular biography, and failed to find it, despite knowing my Dewey very well.
Today I tried again so intensely that I actually asked the librarian who replied "In the Business section because it's a biography of a business-woman". Right ....
and this is the exit view across Sturt St to the Memorial Bandstand dedicated to the band on The Titanic. The weathervane has a Titanic shape silhouette. There was probably a librarian on the ship as well, but no memorial for her.
Ballarat - you're welcome to it.

7 comments:

  1. MONDAY, JULY 07, 2008

    I think I might know what's causing your problem...
    I just found the book Hotter Than Hell: Hot & Spicy Dishes from Around the World (641.59) shelved in the Indigestion and Heartburn section (616.332)

    Reference
    Woman: Hi, I'm looking for a book written by an Irishman. His first name starts with an E and his last name has 2 syllables. It might be E-i-o-n or E-o-i-n or something. He usually writes children's books, but this one is a new adult fiction book.

    Me: Is it Plugged by Eoin Colfer?


    Woman: Yes! Exactly! That was good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Dewey throws up the odd surprise, to both delight and infuriate. Hope you're all rugged up for Ballarat's notorious winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bandstand.
    I haven't been to the local library in years, I find it too hard to hand the books back. Libraries in this area were almost destroyed by the Kennett hatchet years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're not counting yourself as a batty customer. Your question seemed reasonable to me.

    Of course I'm just going by that request alone. In other instances you might be batty ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least "Hotter than Hell" wasn't in the Climate Change section.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely home town you have. And I am very impressed by your knowledge by Dewey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear Petticoats - I grew up in a town with a Mechanics Library and over 10 years I read every single book in it. Thank god they had no Mills&Boon, although these days I wish I could write one as a sure money maker.
    Ballarat was built on massive gold wealth 1880's, and what remains is lovely despite councils best effort to ruin it.

    Dina darling I am quite deliriously batty but those questions are just a sample from the Love The Liberry blog ( and they are Yankees btw).

    JahTeh I agree re 'handing them back'.

    Lad Litter: good t see ya. Yesterday Ballarat threw one of it's most evil 3-jumpers days.

    ReplyDelete