Pinterest

18 May 2010

acCumulated Kyneton

Autumn in Kyneton Victoria copyright Ann O'Dyne.

Joni Mitchell looked at clouds and saw ‘rows and flows of angel hair and ice-cream castles in the air’.
The technical names for cloud formations are conventionally Latin words chosen to match characteristic shapes, and so when weather-watchers recently identified a new type of cloud that has hitherto escaped classification, the name proposed for it was the Latin word asperatus, meaning ‘roughened’.

*goes off singing a beloved composition* ...
David 'asperatus' Ruffin's -
'I've got sunshine, on a cloudy day,
With
my girl.
I've even got the month of May,
With my girl
... '

Now please do visit the absolutely enjoyful Cloud Appreciation Society for an evanescent good time. The founder named his child Cirrus.

(thanks to Chambers Dictionary blogspot.com/ for some of the text above)

7 comments:

  1. I do like a good cloud. Well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent! Sunny post, 'weather' it's trying to be or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cirrus - what a lovely name and to be sure the child is growing up to be fine, flighty and whispy? (seriously though, it's a lovely name)

    Being married to Love Chunks the meteorologist means that we too tend to observe the clouds' scientific names whilst on long drives or bike rides. I still chuckle to think that Mammatus were named by some ancient science geeks because they look like drooping boobies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cirrus is quite a nice name. It evokes memories of bygone times. And it's much easier to spell as a kid than Cumulonimbus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew - thank you. it was dusk and a lovely atmosphere.
    Kass = very droll, thanks.
    Kath - a bloke sees mammatus wherever he looks.
    Miss Diarist - children needs names that they can spell themselves, as soon as possible.
    wishing you all blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cloud pic! You are such a gadabout at the moment, I can't keep up!

    My favourite thing to do is watching clouds float past me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat, I just put Gavin's book on my wish list before I came here. I couldn't resist buying another full of magnificent unusual cloud photos.

    ReplyDelete